pepperami

pepperami's catering thread

249 posts in this topic

Any good recipes to make homemade fishcakes?

aye m8 i like smoked haddock and colee fish cakes

spring onions, chevril, tarragon,onions garlic, breadcrumbs , mash potatoe.juice of fresh lemon ,lemon zest and a bit of tobasco sauce

what i do is poach my fish in half milk half water and cut a whole lemon in half put it in the milk liquid when its hot enough put ya smoked haddock and collee in it til its cooked.

boil up yer potaotoes for mash when its ready strain water through a collander then mash using some of the liquid you have poached youre fish in for a lil extra flavour.

while mash is cooking sweat off yer onions in a lil oil and salt n pepper till the onions go translucent not brown.

once mash is ready mix together everything but not all the bread crumbs

remember to season well when mixing together before moulding into fish cakes

then panny the fish cakes in flour first egg next then bread crumbs till the bread crumbs coat the fish cakes all together panny twice if nescessery.

then seal them all way round in a hot frying pan till the bread crumbs are golden brown then put in the oven till centre reaches above 67 degrees i would cook em a lil slower in oven tem at about 160 degrees so it doesnt burn the outside

personally i hate making fish cakes coz i find them a pain however i know a few good recipes for them.

kevza likes this

What is the secret to a good piece on sausage ? Some tell me it has to be fried in the remnants of the chip pan, other health fanatics suggest a George Foreman grill. Others tell me that I should just electrocute a small bull and rip it's flank off and add some HP brown sauce and put it between 2 outsiders of mothers pride. I'm really confused, can you help me, Pepperami?

sure the quality of the sausage u dont need to fry it in that much fat as sausages already have a natural fat content inside . i always seal in a hot pand then cook through under the grill i guess the secret is the butter in which u butter yer bread:)

you ever tried wild boar and apple sausages , or venison and red wine amazing m8

That sounds good.

Links I presume?

Take it you're a chef then pepp? I like cooking myself, especially sauces and marinades. Was a junior chef in a restaurant/cafe , really enjoyed it, but the hours were a killer!!

What's your recipe for spag boll?

EDIT: That was meant to quote 2 posts.

hash cookies. am sick of all the douge sticking to my fingers and wasting half my mull. wot do you sugest to fix this problem. kev,s specail fried rice is good . rofl

Links I presume?

Take it you're a chef then pepp? I like cooking myself, especially sauces and marinades. Was a junior chef in a restaurant/cafe , really enjoyed it, but the hours were a killer!!

What's your recipe for spag boll?

EDIT: That was meant to quote 2 posts.

onions, garlic, mince beef some recipes for spag bol have half pork half beef mince i prefere all beef mince , oregano , chooped toms , red wine, a good beef stock is a must however if u aint got a good beef stock try some guiness and worcester sauce. wink.png gives it a wee bit of depth if ya wish mushrooms aswell but i prefere not to have the mushrooms

hope this is helpfull m8

Guiness :o never heard that before. How much wine do you put in? I put in bout 2 glasses, needs to be good win though, Chilean. I don't put mushrooms in either, suppose it's a bit like kidney beans with chilli, you either like it or you don't.

When I'm cooking smoked fish, I do it in the frying pan with milk, Is corn flour the best to thicken up the sauce?

ok mate blend together some lemon grass, lime leaves. red chillie grean chillie,corriander,ginger,basil,bayleaf,mint,garlic with some olive oil not extra virgin slice yer breast of duck marinade youre duck in the paste but keep some paste back then get together some rice noodles courgettes, onions green and red peppers. and some pak choi roughly chopped.

keep the noodles to last get a big massive wok thats red hot and throw in the rest of ya paste and ya veg when ya veg has sweated off (when youre onions become translucent but not brown) throw in ya duck i like my my duck medium rare so that shouldnt take long when ya put ya duck in add the pak choi also

mean while deep fry yer rice noodles so they go mad crispy but not burnt becarefull how much ya put in the fryer as they will amost double in size

serve yer duck stir fry in a bowl and place ya crispy rice noodles on top. you could do variations like add cream and coconut turn it almost into a thai style curry or you could use same method and go chinese with some cream and hoisin sauce with chinese 5 spice but the original is best imo hope this helps m8

The rebel County Ghirl say's : Go raibh maith agat.

i love a steak with the blood pissing out of it how long wud u do mine for pep, i cant cook but il pass it on to my missus coz shes cack at doin my steak to well done.

Guiness ohmy.png never heard that before. How much wine do you put in? I put in bout 2 glasses, needs to be good win though, Chilean. I don't put mushrooms in either, suppose it's a bit like kidney beans with chilli, you either like it or you don't.

When I'm cooking smoked fish, I do it in the frying pan with milk, Is corn flour the best to thicken up the sauce?

actually the wine doesnt have to be that great as long as its a full bodied red wine you cook most of the alcohol out of it 2 glasses sounds about right for me . as for the guiness if you dont have a very good beef stock and say are using something like oxo cubes then the guiness will add depth i would put say half a can for 4 portions add it with worcester sauce after the mince has been sealed off with the red wine till its almost all the way reduced and absorbed by the mince. then add ya chopped toms try it youll see what i mean ;)

as for the smoked fish? in the frying pan with milk thats poaching just wondering how many times the milk has boiled over? maybe never as youve trained as a chef however if u find yourself constantly watching the milk to see when it boils over use half milk half water and throw a whole lemon cut in half in there. i use this technique for almost all fish when poaching however for shellfish i use a court boullion thats a different story.

cornflour for thickening sauces again depends on the sauce for example u can make a veloute which will cook or should cook thick by using normal flour however corn flour is gluten free so again depends on needs and also u can use arrowroot to thicken sauce or make a puree type sauce if made correctly it should be thick enough as u blend the ingrediants in the sauce each method is as good as the next depends on the sauce u wanna make and dietry needs at the time.

hope again this is helpfull to ya mate

marmarisbhoy likes this

i love a steak with the blood pissing out of it how long wud u do mine for pep, i cant cook but il pass it on to my missus coz shes cack at doin my steak to well done.

depends on the thickness of the steak m8 and depends if u like blue or rare or medium rare as all should be bloody fillet stakes are the hardest to cook coz they so thick and minute steaks are as equally as hard to cook as theyre so thin its an experience thing. i can tell by touch however a good trick is look at the juices as u cook them youll see as u cook a steak at the start the juices that come out will be a deep red that means its still quite rare the more it cooks the juices will become lighter to a pinky red medium rare.... medium.... pink and clear juices means its fuked or well done :)

however theres a flaw as this way depends on the freshness of the steak or if it has been frozen as the lesh fresh the steak it will lose a lot of blood or as a steak defrosts again loses a lot of that juice or blood.

The rebel County Ghirl say's : Go raibh maith agat.

i have no idea what that means lol

marmarisbhoy likes this

cornflour for thickening sauces again depends on the sauce for example u can make a veloute which will cook or should cook thick by using normal flour however corn flour is gluten free so again depends on needs and also u can use arrowroot to thicken sauce or make a puree type sauce if made correctly it should be thick enough as u blend the ingrediants in the sauce each method is as good as the next depends on the sauce u wanna make and dietry needs at the time.

So cornflour then?

depends on the thickness of the steak m8 and depends if u like blue or rare or medium rare as all should be bloody fillet stakes are the hardest to cook coz they so thick and minute steaks are as equally as hard to cook as theyre so thin its an experience thing. i can tell by touch however a good trick is look at the juices as u cook them youll see as u cook a steak at the start the juices that come out will be a deep red that means its still quite rare the more it cooks the juices will become lighter to a pinky red medium rare.... medium.... pink and clear juices means its fuked or well done smile.png

however theres a flaw as this way depends on the freshness of the steak or if it has been frozen as the lesh fresh the steak it will lose a lot of blood or as a steak defrosts again loses a lot of that juice or blood.

i have no idea what that means lol

thankyou very much in cork irelands native tongue lol