Who Killed Kenny?

Football Snobbery...

17 posts in this topic

Football snobbery is a phenomena that has existed for a great many years,it is a symptomatic of the success Club as they go along.

The more successful the Club the more arrogant and snobbish the fan may become.

For some Clubs it is entirely understandable that this occurs ie those Clubs who win title after title first in their own wee sphere at home then subsequently abroad.

Real Madrid,Barcelona,Liverpool,Manchester United,AC Milan,Juventus,Bayern Munich,Porto,Benfica  the list goes on and on and of course comes round to Clubs like ours.

We have all ultimately dominated our own Domestic setup at some point been the top dog and indeed still are in most cases but herein lies a problem with some fans even Clubs for that matter.

The point of this thread is not to criticise the symptoms of success in Football but the strange side effect it has had on Clubs having to "face" a run in the Europa League.

More perplexing perhaps is the snobbery of some Clubs who say this Competition is a bind and not a bonus to their Season.

I shall highlight a situation that happened this week ..

Southampton were dumped out of Europe by Scandinavian Champions FC Midtjylland the response was very interesting from both sides.

The Scandinavians were ecstatic at having won the game but even more overjoyed for having the chance to compete in the Europa.

Southampton on the other hand were low key about the whole thing,annoyed of course at having been humbled by some wee irrelevant Nations Champions but unperturbed about the fact they no longer had to endure the next few months fitting in extra ties!

There were Southampton fans ringing in to Talk Sport describing the relief it was over now they could concentrate on the Premierhype!

You see this sort of Fitba lunacy really grips my shit folks ....

The Europa League is a class above what most sides will meet every week in the bread butter Leagues.

If you consider some of the Big names in the Competition you would be hard pressed to find a League anywhere in the world that can boast that Level of Competition.

Certainly not Spain ,Gemany,Italy ,Portugal or England.

At best 2 horse races and at worst 1 horse canters.

Ours is the latter  but used to be the former btw.

To win the Europa this Season you are going to have to be a top level Club in fact a decent Champions League level outfit it is not going to be easy for any of us in there.

If you consider the Silverware already accrued by many of us in it I think it deserves far more respect than what some give it.

Thing is ability wise you have got a chance of winning it.

Compare it with the Premier Competition it is up against then ability is only half the criteria you also have to be fairly wealthy too to stand any chance whatsoever of achieving that dream.

Man City are an example of just how difficult this task is.

Back to the Europa.. You see for me it is a genuine test for any Club,the games and the frequency of them only lend to highlight this task.

You put a good showing in and actually win this Competition well that's a major European Trophy in the cabinet for someone like us.

Don't know whether you have noticed but we are a wee bit thin on the ground when it comes to these at Celtic.

An estimated 80,000 Celts travelled to Seville not so long ago in the UEFA Cup it meant something then and the Europa means something now it means as a Club you have arrived once again and announced yourself on the big stage.

It is after all the replacement of the UEFA Cup.

It is tougher to win than the old knockout set up and so therefore demands more effort which in turn should make it far more rewarding for doing so.

To those who undervalue it or sneer at it from their ivory towers more fool them because the simple fact is like Southampton who have never been anywhere near a European Final (let alone win one) more fool you.

At Celtic we should welcome all European challenge regardless of Monetary gain it is still Europe and it is still worth the effort to get there if you can.

kevza and C1888C like this

Fair poinks Kenny. I suppose we are all guilty of fitba snobbery, I just ain't thought about it before. And yeah, competition wise, The Europa would be more competitive than any top European league. It's a pity the money ain't as good. 

C1888C likes this

I think its only normal that Champions League and Europa League should be the higest paying competitions in Europe, will we ever see it? I really doubt it, its not as if UEFA can demand it happens how long would UEFA last if that happened? Who else would attempt to change it that could actually have an affect? If all the smaller leagues getting fuck all from TV deals and struggling to keep their clubs afloat and compete in Europe at any level, even qualifying rounds had to make a stand how long would it take for the big money leagues to say fair enough have the UEFA competitions we'll just stick to our league and back out of UEFA to keep their money coming in? Would UEFA even back us if it meant risking some of their own deals?

Regardless of how big a country England is, more people have an interest or should have an interest in Europe, alot more people have a club they support or a club from their nation taking part and not just any clubs its the best of each league, how that is not more lucrative than English leagues is beyond me

Champions League should have the best deals in Europe, Europa next then the actual leagues from each country depending on viewers or amount of fans etc, even at that it puzzles me how someone who has never set foot in England can sit at a TV screen claiming to the biggest Chelsea or Man Utd fan about because they have been told they are the best team in the best League by some prick being paid to spout that shite on tele, I honestly wouldnt be surprised if the people in that league, players managers back room staff etc have it in there contract that they need to say this shite or at the very least just dont deny it

Fair poinks Kenny. I suppose we are all guilty of fitba snobbery, I just ain't thought about it before. And yeah, competition wise, The Europa would be more competitive than any top European league. It's a pity the money ain't as good. 

I think the disparity money wise is the issue between it and the Champions League.

If they split the money say 60/40 between both then the Prestige would remain with the Champions League but the Europa would perhaps attract less snobbery.

Let's face facts Champions League is set up for the wealthy the also rans have next to no chance of breaking the dominance whilst the disparity continues.

The fact Champions are having to qualify for it is in effect a kick in the haw maws to the rest of us.

However that is how it is and although the money is not as good it's still a good cash injection if you get a good draw.

Which we did 2 of those sides should draw a decent crowd particularly Ajax after the last time we met in Holland.

I think its only normal that Champions League and Europa League should be the higest paying competitions in Europe, will we ever see it? I really doubt it, its not as if UEFA can demand it happens how long would UEFA last if that happened? Who else would attempt to change it that could actually have an affect? If all the smaller leagues getting fuck all from TV deals and struggling to keep their clubs afloat and compete in Europe at any level, even qualifying rounds had to make a stand how long would it take for the big money leagues to say fair enough have the UEFA competitions we'll just stick to our league and back out of UEFA to keep their money coming in? Would UEFA even back us if it meant risking some of their own deals?

Regardless of how big a country England is, more people have an interest or should have an interest in Europe, alot more people have a club they support or a club from their nation taking part and not just any clubs its the best of each league, how that is not more lucrative than English leagues is beyond me

Champions League should have the best deals in Europe, Europa next then the actual leagues from each country depending on viewers or amount of fans etc, even at that it puzzles me how someone who has never set foot in England can sit at a TV screen claiming to the biggest Chelsea or Man Utd fan about because they have been told they are the best team in the best League by some prick being paid to spout that shite on tele, I honestly wouldnt be surprised if the people in that league, players managers back room staff etc have it in there contract that they need to say this shite or at the very least just dont deny it

Hype is a major contributory factor of course Steven the Southampton reaction is a rubber stamp on that.

How the fuck fans of that Club can turn their noses up at European Football is as ridiculous as it is fucking hilarious.

So glad it was a Celtic reject that ejected them back to their precious Premierhype.

The stunned reaction of the English commentary was simply wonderful.

TBH my european ambitions for evry season now are pretty much the same. gourp stages of UCL (when possible) finish 3rd in the group and then drop into the Europa league.

Why?

Well the ucl is just a cash cow and although we would earn more by getting ipast the groups of it, the Europ legue offer us a competition that we actually have a realistic if not optimistic chance of winning or reahing emi's and finals.

the glourious defeat in sevilla, the whole atmosphere the occasion has left a lasting memory and feel good factor, and i would swa that grandeous occasion for a last 16 in shampions league every day

Yes, but cash cows are precisely the thing no Scottish club can afford to let slip when there for the taking, and the CL cash cow is, for us, more like a cash diplodocus, and to miss out on that twice in a row is, of course, hugely significant, though I seriously wonder how much of that extra money would have made its way onto the pitch, we may well have been sitting here decrying the board for sending us into the CL with only 3 strikers..........

With the rich and powerful the significance values of the tournament shifts as any financial loss can be less significant than lack of competitive success.

But that cash has gone......again.......and without serious squad strengthening.....may be gone next year too.

Now our focus is (almost) entirely on the competitive value of the Europa, and this can prove invaluable for this teams experience.  A successful run and we may in a few months have forgotten (to an extent) about Malmo.

But they must put in a show, as getting dumped out of this group will simply mean total failure in Europe this year and old arguments will rightly reappear.

Who Killed Kenny? and Gazzola like this

the 20 mil or so that we lost out on via our exit was is and is never going to close the gap between us and the big 5 leagues , although it is a sore one, we have much more chance of wining games in th eyrupa league.

besides malmo have 9 games left of their season - a serius advantage over a team 7 games into theirs, the decks are stacked against us 

the 20 mil or so that we lost out on via our exit was is and is never going to close the gap between us and the big 5 leagues , although it is a sore one, we have much more chance of wining games in th eyrupa league.

besides malmo have 9 games left of their season - a serius advantage over a team 7 games into theirs, the decks are stacked against us 

9 games? They must go in there with absolutely no hope of getting anything out the group, their season will probably be finished before the group even is

Malmos Season started in April (3 months before ours) they had over 25 games under their belt by the time we faced them.

That's 25 games to iron out issues,get organised and bed in whoever they acquired.

Sure our side costs more to run and more to build but we are not talking a side full to the scuds with £10m players here.

We ply our trade next to the most lucrative League in World Football we have no option but to pay a bit more for average talent otherwise they fuck off to Bradford or Preston on 30k a week.

Malmo don't have that problem in Sweden.

We come into the qualifiers like them as Champions of our Country and as previously highlighted are forced now due to the ridiculous set up  play 6 qualifying games to get there.

We go into it still in our fucking pre Season..Malmo at least are physically prepared having already had 2 months game time in the tank.

That's 2 months stamina,conditioning and match fitness accrued.

That may not seem much to some but  this can be a leveller at this level especially when there are very little between the teams anyway skill wise.

It's not Celtic v Barca we are talking here in terms of gulf in class it's Celtic v Aberdeen in reality.

The Margins are tight effectively and as Aberdeen proved they too can produce in Europe ..anyone who watched their European games this Season will testify to that they are a dengerous side on the break.

In 2 leg Cup tie effectively and as we all know Cup Ties can be dodgy at the best of times small mistakes can cost you big time.

As it proved to be so.

Thing is in reality we have lost nothing..you cannot lose what you never had in the first place.

The £20m is there for those that get through the 6 Hoops UEFA have placed in their way.

We failed on the last hoop.

Hopefully next year we don't hopefully we acquire a Striker who can and will fire us there in fine style.

If they don't then we should embrace the Europa as European Competition and forget about the money.

Tough though that is like Dylan points out most of it get's sucked up anyway by the entity that is Celtic.

Edited by Kennys Dugleash

the europa league is now treated by the bigger teams as the equalivent of the old cup winner cup which was scrapped, instead of the 2nd biggest trophy to be won in europe at club level.

this also happens to the league cup in scotkland amongst many other nations, a diddy cup except when you win it.

fuck these elitist cunts if there is a trphy to be fouhgt for and won then your job as a professional is to go and win the fucking thing, true athletes put these pretty boy, money grabbing fucking aitheads to shame.

Look at Mo Farah for a professional and an out and out winner, only the likes of ronaldo can even be remotley compared to guys like farah and top boxers who train religiously and eat properly.

fitba players are spoiled lazy and lack commitment and proffesionalism.

northeastghirl15 likes this

My point of view is.... 

Celtic in the absence of The Rangers have probably made as much money as we have in our history since they (the rangers) went down into the third division. 

2011/12: Reached Europa League group stages. spent £3.1m on transfers made £2.7m from selling players.

2012/13: Reached the last 16 of the Champions League. spent £3.9m and made £8.5m from selling players.

2013/14: Reached the Champions League groups stages. spent £11.6m and made £23m from selling players. 

Lennon leaves > < Delia in

2014/15: Knocked out of Champions League play off twice. Reach last 32 of Europa League. spent £4.3m made £11.8m from transfers

This year: So far knocked out of the Champions League, Reached Europa League. spent £ around 8m made £ around 16m

So from transfers alone we've made 

£31 million  (after you take away what we've spent) then you add in the couple of million from the europa league this year and last year, the group stages of the champions league (I don't know these figures but am sure someone does.) plus merchandising, ticket sales, etc, etc, I get that Celtic is a PLC and has to pay out shareholders and our billionaires at the end of the year but surely we could afford to spend a bit more and push to get into the champions league. As someone has said on another thread we paid £4m for the croatian defender and wouldn't be surprised to see us sell him for £15-20 million in 2 or 3 years time, if thats the case why cant we spend £4m on two players quality players every season and a couple of million just for squad players. 

I think Celtic should be operating at a higher level but maybe I'm just thinking short term and the board has a long term vision (stuffing cash by for 10 in a row or whatever) but I'll be honest I think they're all greedy bastards taking this club for a ride. 

Gazzola and Who Killed Kenny? like this

I also believe the cash may be being stuffed somewhere JB..........................and maybe the supporters are too.

(Then again, what I know about business you could write on the back of a neutrino.)

TBH my european ambitions for evry season now are pretty much the same. gourp stages of UCL (when possible) finish 3rd in the group and then drop into the Europa league.

Why?

Well the ucl is just a cash cow and although we would earn more by getting ipast the groups of it, the Europ legue offer us a competition that we actually have a realistic if not optimistic chance of winning or reahing emi's and finals.

the glourious defeat in sevilla, the whole atmosphere the occasion has left a lasting memory and feel good factor, and i would swap that grandeous occasion for a last 16 in shampions league every day

Great to see that we're not as deluded as Liverpool fans. They still actually think they should've pipped City to the title in 2014. What a mess they are now Rodgers getting the sack

My point of view is.... 

Celtic in the absence of The Rangers have probably made as much money as we have in our history since they (the rangers) went down into the third division. 

2011/12: Reached Europa League group stages. spent £3.1m on transfers made £2.7m from selling players.

2012/13: Reached the last 16 of the Champions League. spent £3.9m and made £8.5m from selling players.

2013/14: Reached the Champions League groups stages. spent £11.6m and made £23m from selling players. 

Lennon leaves > < Delia in

2014/15: Knocked out of Champions League play off twice. Reach last 32 of Europa League. spent £4.3m made £11.8m from transfers

This year: So far knocked out of the Champions League, Reached Europa League. spent £ around 8m made £ around 16m

So from transfers alone we've made 

£31 million  (after you take away what we've spent) then you add in the couple of million from the europa league this year and last year, the group stages of the champions league (I don't know these figures but am sure someone does.) plus merchandising, ticket sales, etc, etc, I get that Celtic is a PLC and has to pay out shareholders and our billionaires at the end of the year but surely we could afford to spend a bit more and push to get into the champions league. As someone has said on another thread we paid £4m for the croatian defender and wouldn't be surprised to see us sell him for £15-20 million in 2 or 3 years time, if thats the case why cant we spend £4m on two players quality players every season and a couple of million just for squad players. 

I think Celtic should be operating at a higher level but maybe I'm just thinking short term and the board has a long term vision (stuffing cash by for 10 in a row or whatever) but I'll be honest I think they're all greedy bastards taking this club for a ride. 

I don't believe you are a million miles from the truth bud.

My point of view is.... 

errrrr…. no

rangers didn't "went down" anywhere….. particularly the third division

rangers were liquidated and therefore ceased to exist…. this is how the law works

the reconstituted zombie parts were formed into sevco who, for some as yet unexplained reason, were admitted to the fourth tier of scottish football - ahead of at least two clubs who had much much better grounds for getting that place…. like for instance: audited accounts

it is kind of important that this does not get forgotten

nechayev

Who Killed Kenny? likes this

errrrr…. no
rangers didn't "went down" anywhere….. particularly the third division

rangers were liquidated and therefore ceased to exist…. this is how the law works

the reconstituted zombie parts were formed into sevco who, for some as yet unexplained reason, were admitted to the fourth tier of scottish football - ahead of at least two clubs who had much much better grounds for getting that place…. like for instance: audited accounts

it is kind of important that this does not get forgotten

nechayev

Absofuckinlutely comrad.