Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_Bhoy_1981

DONE DEAL: Celtic sign defender Jozo Simunovic

29 posts in this topic

Celtic are closing in on a deal to sign Jozo Simunovic.

The 21-year-old has been identified to replace Virgil van Dijk but Dinamo Zagreb refused to consider a deal ahead of the Champions League play-off's.

Despite seeing off Albanian side Skenderbeu on a 6-2 aggregate Dinamo have been back in talks with Celtic.

One Croatian source has claimed that an €8m deal has been agreed but the upfront figure is likely to be closer to 6m  which would be the highest transfer fee paid by Celtic since Scott Brown arrived from Hibs in 2007.

Negotiations are believed to be at advanced stage with Celtic confident of completing the deal tomorrow without any last minute transfer dramas.

Simunovic has been a regular in the Dinamo defence over the last two seasons and has picked up four Croatian under-21 caps having been capped at every age group from u-16 upwards.

With van Dijk about to head for England, Simunovic will form a new look central defensive partnership with Dedryck Boyata and is pencilled in to make his Celtic debut at Aberdeen a week on Saturday.

With Tyler Blackett joining Saidy Janko and Boyata Deila is close to having a completely reshaped defence from the one that he inherited from Neil Lennon.

Edited by The_Bhoy_1981

BREAKING NEWS

Celtic have agreed a fee with Dinamo Zagreb for defender Jozo Simunovic, according to Sky sources.

The 21-year-old will travel to Scotland tomorrow to discuss personal terms and undergo a medical. The fee is believed to be undisclosed but reports elsewhere suggest a fee between £4m-£5.5m is being discussed.

Sky sources also understand the Simunovic deal is not linked to any possible deal for Virgil Van Dyke, who has been strongly linked with a move to Southampton.

Having played only 52 competitive games (According to Wikipedia) I think spending decent money on this guy was a gamble. A big one. 

I will be very pissed off if he's injury prone. 

Edited by kevza
Spelling error

I'm quite glad he stayed. Thin on the ground for cb's. Although got the feelin, he wants away, he's always injured and even if he was fit, I'm no sure BR would start him every week. However, he is a much better choice than Ambrose.  And apparently he wants to stay at Celtic!!  Take the hint. Fuck off!