The_Bhoy_1981

Virgil van Dijk signs for Southampton

58 posts in this topic

“I would like to thank all the Celtic fans for the magnificent support they have given me during my time at the club. Celtic is a brilliant football club, it will always be in my heart and I will always be a Celtic supporter myself. I know Celtic did not want me to leave and wanted to extend my contract. The club did everything to keep me and I appreciate that but I felt the time was right for a new challenge in the English Premier League. I thank everyone at the club, the manager and all the staff and I wish Celtic and the fans the very best for the future.” - Virgil Van Dijk.

Virgil van Dijk signs for Southampton

Oooft.

Truth he's always missing. Not saying he will not progress but I think he's overrated by Celtic fans and when I watch him he doesn't look like the beckenbauer everyone proclaims him to be.. HH KTF

Truth he's always missing. Not saying he will not progress but I think he's overrated by Celtic fans and when I watch him he doesn't look like the beckenbauer everyone proclaims him to be.. HH KTF

To be fair to him when he has someone decent alongside him he's solid all day long.

But fact of the matter is too many times Izzy left him exposed as did Boyata this Season.

Alongside Denaayer he was fine.

If you gave me the option of 2 players to keep between Virgil and Kelvin Wilson I would have kept Wilson and sold Virgil.

He has time to learn being only 24 but I have to say if Stones is worth 30m then Van Dijk i worth at least £20m.

Good luck to big Virgil, he is a decent player and always performed for us, I agree with KD in that if he had a bit more quality beside him, he would have delivered even better quality performances, it is a good bit of business for the club though.

Apparently the price rises to £13m with ad ons and plus a percentage of any future sale.

ie if he has a great Season this Season we could well be in for a lovely wee windfall in 12 months.

Exceptional bit of business if this turns out to be true.;)

Edited by Kennys Dugleash

Garented silverwear every season a crack at europe every season for mid table battle good fucking ridence take the money move on enjoy ur downword spiral from here on in

You sound like Peter Lawwell to me

You sound like a very negative person to me.

I mean who in their right mind thinks our best player is worth £3m when he's been bought for £13m?

Your coming across as one of these sad people who get a downer on players because they want to move on.

He was signed with that intention bud.

To make a positive contribution to the team and then make a good profit on his sale.

Mission accomplished well done Celtic.

colobhoy and MafieMcCue like this

Love how everyone gets all butt hurt after a player leaves. Celtic isn't everyone's dream so how can you judge them for leaving? People take this shit so personal. He's going to a challenging league with a decent team that gives us good fees for our players and doesn't look down on us because we play in the SPL. VVD is worth £11m easily. £3m? Are you kidding me? That's barely what we paid for him in the first place. Sure some people think he's better than he is and maybe people overrate him but it's better than our own fans severely under-rating him. People need to start getting used to the fact that most players, especially our best ones, won't be here forever. 

Love how everyone gets all butt hurt after a player leaves. Celtic isn't everyone's dream so how can you judge them for leaving? People take this shit so personal. He's going to a challenging league with a decent team that gives us good fees for our players and doesn't look down on us because we play in the SPL. VVD is worth £11m easily. £3m? Are you kidding me? That's barely what we paid for him in the first place. Sure some people think he's better than he is and maybe people overrate him but it's better than our own fans severely under-rating him. People need to start getting used to the fact that most players, especially our best ones, won't be here forever. 

You must be taking the piss? If we were another league they would pay 20-25m minimum and they dont look down on us because we're in the SPL? That pretty much refused to give any player playing here including Forster a call up until they just couldn't deny his talent after Barca and even at that they weren't sure.

Hes went down there and done top class for Southampton before his injury, you telling me if he wasn't playing in England as an English international we wouldn't have got more than they paid?

I mean the prices of Stones, Berahino, Kane, Sterling etc are all fucking ridiculous for players of that age with about 1 season under their belt (bit more for Sterling) yet because they're English and teams in that league need a certain number of English/homegrown players all of them are commanding fees of 30-50m

He has came here with the intention of going, if anyone didn't already know that,  hes gave you nearly 2 years to get used to the idea pretty much since he got his starting place here hes been looking down south.

Anyone who says hes worth 3m is a moron, worth alot more than that... Who knows maybe in a few years time we'll be selling for that 15-20m mark because it looks like we're slowly raising the bar with about one big record breaking transfer per season now, how far behind the other leagues our prices are if we reach that remains to be seen

Farewell van Dyke, you were using us. You will (and won't) be missed.

You took what you needed, and now you're on your way

The fans might not look at him the way he looked at us, use us to get what he wants and move on, but the reality of it is the board does

The fans have no control over whether he goes, only the board and manager does and honestly I dont think the managers in a position to tell the board no, if his employers dont see a future for him here why should he?

As much as it annoys me to see our best players go you cant blame him, hes probably came here with the agreement he can go the minute we get a 10m+

As for the 9m profit in 2 years, I really couldn't give a toss about that, unless its reinvested in the squad, improving the training ground, stadium etc then all it is is a bonus for some bawbag on the board

I dont even think that 4m for the Croatian centre back came from Van Dijks profit, I think that cash has always been there waiting for the minute the fans kick up a fuss and vent their anger publicly for the board to trying save their own asses by splashing a bit of money

Ur all fuked in the head. :lol:

Theses players owe us nothing! There not Celtic fans. Guess what.....players do not stay at clubs for life.

VVD was a class act for us and we got 13 million, hang on I'll say that again 13 MILLION POUNDS for him after 2 years. No other player in the history of Scottish football has been sold for this amount of money!!

The clubs has invested great money into Celtic Park and Lennoxtown. We also spent 8 million on players this summer. Thats

Thats unreal for a team that plays in the Scottish league! 

Now get a grip of urselves!

Edited by The_Bhoy_1981

You sound like a very negative person to me.

I mean who in their right mind thinks our best player is worth £3m when he's been bought for £13m?

Your coming across as one of these sad people who get a downer on players because they want to move on.

He was signed with that intention bud.

To make a positive contribution to the team and then make a good profit on his sale.

Mission accomplished well done Celtic.

I prefer the term realist. 

13M? I've only heard it is 11.5 million - either way I congratulated the board for getting 13m or 11.5m for a player who in my opinon is worth £3m at best.

I don't mind that players want to move on at all I support Celtic and we play in a league where no one wants to play.

Yes as are all signings at the club. 

All I am saying is he is overrated you eluded in an earlier post of John Stones being worth £30m well the thing is he is English and when English players show a bit of good form they're value sky rockets. Think Harry Kane, Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen etc etc.

I will reply to the bold part of the quote as I feel you cant be talking about me with the rest of it.. VVD is overrated, you've already agreed with that point that I've put across, I would personally not spend anymore than £3-4m on him as a player, yes he looks great playing in the SPL but when he plays in Europe he is found missing again and again, you can blame it on Efe, Boyata or even the moonlight, thing is if he was as great as everyone said he was he would be commanding the defenders around him instead of going into hiding with them. 

Ur all fuked in the head. :lol:

Theses players owe us nothing! There not Celtic fans. Guess what.....players do not stay at clubs for life.

VVD was a class act for us and we got 13 million, hang on I'll say that again 13 MILLION POUNDS for him after 2 years. No other player in the history of Scottish football has been sold for this amount of money!!

The clubs has invested great money into Celtic Park and Lennoxtown. We also spent 8 million on players this summer. Thats

Thats unreal for a team that plays in the Scottish league! 

Now get a grip of urselves!

£8 million on shite.

I prefer the term realist. 

13M? I've only heard it is 11.5 million - either way I congratulated the board for getting 13m or 11.5m for a player who in my opinon is worth £3m at best.

I don't mind that players want to move on at all I support Celtic and we play in a league where no one wants to play.

Yes as are all signings at the club. 

All I am saying is he is overrated you eluded in an earlier post of John Stones being worth £30m well the thing is he is English and when English players show a bit of good form they're value sky rockets. Think Harry Kane, Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen etc etc.

I will reply to the bold part of the quote as I feel you cant be talking about me with the rest of it.. VVD is overrated, you've already agreed with that point that I've put across, I would personally not spend anymore than £3-4m on him as a player, yes he looks great playing in the SPL but when he plays in Europe he is found missing again and again, you can blame it on Efe, Boyata or even the moonlight, thing is if he was as great as everyone said he was he would be commanding the defenders around him instead of going into hiding with them. 

£8 million on shite.

We operate next door to that League.

Our players will always  have their heads turned no matter how committed they say they are.

Sure there will be exceptions guys like Brown or Mulgrew who have a family and more than happy to pull on the Hoops every week.

But guys like Virgil are bought with the intention of selling for profit this is how it is and the more money we get then the better for the Club on the whole.

Virgils replacement I gather will cost us double what we outlayed on him initially.

That is symptomatic of what we are up against at Celtic our league restricts us as to exactly how good and for how much.

Jozo will want a move in 3 years possibly even 2 if he hit's the ground running or as I suspect a Southampton come calling again.

That's the reality bud.

Stones value rocketed because Chelsea were willing to pay £36m for him.

Had he gone last week for that I very much doubt Van Dijk would have went for less than £15m.

As the bar would have been set.

As it happens on the last day Van Dijk was the second biggest transfer in England behind the French kid Man United paid mountains of cash for (and could have had for under £20m 6 weeks ago btw).

Be thankful we had Van Dijk for the time we did and be hopeful young Šimunović  turns out to be  just as good or better.

Because no matter how you spin it it's great business all round.

MafieMcCue and The_Bhoy_1981 like this