Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_Bhoy_1981

Celtic name Brendan Rodgers as new manager

41 posts in this topic

I think when Deila was appointed the cards were in Celtics hands and Deila basically agreed to everything including a low wage, a back room staff assigned to him and a signing policy revolving around the boards decisions. You can't really blame him because it was a huge step up for him but he did look pretty silly in the end after his tenure was ultimately a failure.

I feel good about Rogers because it seems more like he had more leverage during negotiations, we were more desperate for him then he for us, and he's not a yes man

excellent point I totally agree with your analysis

Shows u what the board thought of our management team; 

Bankier "Anyone who witnessed our last game of the season against Motherwell [a 7-0victory] would recognise that we've got some talent," he said.

"The thing we want is good management."

A good day at CP, trying not to be over confident about moving forward, but cant help but feel optimistic about the next three years, I think he needs some time (and money) to build a competent squad who can at least compete in the opening rounds of the CL ! Making the right noises about our youth squad, lets all get behind him and rebuild the faith

strange that no-one has mentioned that we will no longer play one upfront, rodgers likes at least 2 up top, he has favoured 3-5-2 and 3-4-3, but seeing how good a lb we now have in Tierney a 4 at the back or even a 3-5-2 with tierney wide left would work too.

Cant believe 10k supporters turned up to welcome him.   thats impressive but also speaks of the way ronny was regarded.

our squad is nowhere near as bad as most think he still have real quality players who are capable of matching up with decent level european teams.

We have ROBERTS who can fill the role left by sammy as european lucky totem, which is what we were really missing in europe an outball- sammy took that when he left but roberts can do that. 

we do need to trim down our midfielders by quite a bit, johansen for me has had his time ship him out. then it gets complicated because asides from broonie, commons and biton the rest of our MF's are predominately youngsters, and by fook theres loads of them.

where do you start?

pepperami likes this

strange that no-one has mentioned that we will no longer play one upfront, rodgers likes at least 2 up top, he has favoured 3-5-2 and 3-4-3, but seeing how good a lb we now have in Tierney a 4 at the back or even a 3-5-2 with tierney wide left would work too.

Cant believe 10k supporters turned up to welcome him.   thats impressive but also speaks of the way ronny was regarded.

our squad is nowhere near as bad as most think he still have real quality players who are capable of matching up with decent level european teams.

We have ROBERTS who can fill the role left by sammy as european lucky totem, which is what we were really missing in europe an outball- sammy took that when he left but roberts can do that. 

we do need to trim down our midfielders by quite a bit, johansen for me has had his time ship him out. then it gets complicated because asides from broonie, commons and biton the rest of our MF's are predominately youngsters, and by fook theres loads of them.

where do you start?

I didn't wanna mention formations as I believe the manager would decide the best formation for the players he has that's his job in my eyes my own opinion would be a 3-5-2 down to the playing staff we have.

BRENDAN Rodgers insists “warrior” Scott Brown can be the same

inspirational figure for Celtic as Steven Gerrard was at Liverpool.

The new Parkhead boss plans to speak to the Hoops skipper this week about

his role at the club moving forward. But Rodgers wants Brown as Celtic’s figurehead

and believes he can get the best out of him – just as he did with Gerrard at Anfield.

The Hoops boss said: “Scott is a real warrior and he will stay captain here, 150

per cent.

“Last season, towards the end, he was maybe hit a little by injury. But he’s only

30 and still has his best years ahead.

Brendan Rodgers is paraded at Celtic Park

Brendan Rodgers is paraded at Celtic Park

“When I went into Liverpool as manager, Steven was 32. There was a lot of

talk that maybe his best days were gone.

“But Steven went on for the next two years and was brilliant for me at

Anfield. He was a great leader and he nearly went on to lift the Premier

League title.”

Edited by The_Bhoy_1981

John kennedy staying on a 1st team coach.......no sure how I feel about this. 

dont tar him with ronny and johnny's brush bro. He is there on merit for his previous good work

Brendan Rodgers pens handbook for Celtic stars on how Hoops revolution will unfold

ERIK Sviatchenko is convinced Brendan Rodgers is ready to pen an exciting new chapter at Celtic after the new Hoops boss had his player hitting the books from his first day at the helm.

The former Liverpool gaffer handed out homework with every member of his squad given a handbook that featured the blueprint for the Rodgers revolution.

The players found out from the get-go how the boss wants them to play, the structure and style, the expectation levels from the coaches and from the fans - the Irishman has covered the lot in great detail.

SNS Group

JS93627089.jpg

Sviatchenko admitted the Brendan Bible is real page turner and he can’t wait to see how the story of the season pans out under the new regime.

The Danish defender said: “It’s nice to have that idea of how he wants to play, to be able to look through the book and understand things better.

“It’s not like we’re going to be waking up in the middle of the night and reading it – but it’s good to have something to help explain things.

Celtic's Erik Sviatchenko wears the captain's armband against St Johnstone

“Especially when a new manager comes in and wants to implement new ideas, it’s great to have something written down that we can read if we’re in doubt.

“It’s a general guide to how he wants to work – what he expects from us and what he can give to us. So it is quite general about how he wants us to play.

“I’ve never experienced anything like that in football, it’s my first time being handed a book like this, but it’s very nice.

“It shows a seriousness, a real detailed approach and a message that we’re all together in this, working for the one goal, being together and planning for a good season. It’s a good start.

SNS Group

Brendan Rodgers takes Celtic training

“It’s not a very thick book, I was able to read it all. It’s more general, some team tactics but also what he and his coaching team expect from the players.”

Rodgers has met his players and got quickly down to work - and he’s planning on getting them on their own while they step up the hard graft in Slovenia this week.

The Hoops party landed last night and Sviatchenko said: “I’ve not had a one-on-one meeting with the manager yet. I think maybe he will have some of those in Slovenia. “That might be a pleasant time for everyone.“But we know we’ve been working hard, the first week has been about fitness, now we’re getting into the games. It’s important that we make that step.”

Sviatchenko has been impressed with the new boss but he had already done his homework before Rodgers arrived.

The Dane remembers the documentary Being Liverpool from a few years back which lifted the lid on life at Anfield.

SNS Group

JS93627080.jpg

Sviatchenko said: “My first impressions of the new manager were very good.

“I knew him before, not personally but knew of him.

“I knew that Brendan Rodgers had been at Swansea, at Reading and Chelsea before that – and at Liverpool most recently.

“The Being Liverpool series of movies about the club, he featured in that a lot.

“I watched that many years ago. So it was nice to see him here.

“He is portrayed quite accurately in that series, actually. He’s like that in real life, yes. “He’s really, really nice.

SNS Group

JS93627188.jpg

“I don’t know if the rest of the players have been watching it since he signed for the club – but it was a pretty popular series, so I’m sure a lot of them will have seen it.

“He hasn’t mentioned it to us himself.”

Rodgers has won over the squad quickly - not it’s the players who need to convince the boss.

Celtic have 12 days and four games in Slovenia to lay the foundations for the Champions League tilt.

The Hoops face Celje on Thursday before hopping over the Austrian border to take on Sturm Graz on Sunday then back for Olimpija Llubljana and Maribor next week.

CS81968081.jpg

Rodgers is planning to cut the numbers at the club while also plotting to bring in new faces with the qualifier against either Flora Tallinn or Lincoln Imps just a fortnight away.

Sviatchenko said: “It’s going to be good to get out there and show the manager what we can do in games.

“But I think what we’ve shown on the training fields already in the first week has been really, really good.

“The manager has told us he’s very pleased with what we’re doing, how hard we’re working.

“It’s a new manager with new ideas and so far the ideas for me have been what I want to be doing.

SNS Group

JS93637211.jpg

“It’s about history as well, and how the manager played at Swansea and Liverpool.

“It will be something similar to that so at this point it’s really, really interesting.

“I am excited about it. We need to dominate games even more than we did last year. To do that we need to be in a physical shape that is absolutely fantastic, that’s what this week has been about.

“We’ll get our fantastic form then we will build up slowly towards those next couple of weeks.”

Celtic fans are joined by goalie Craig Gordon as they queue for season tickets

Pre-season training is usually to be endured rather than enjoyed but Sviatchenko is seriously revved up for the new campaign after seeing Rodgers welcomed by 13,000 fans and the season ticket stampede that followed.

He said: “It’s a good start that people are turning up in huge numbers, that they’re buying season tickets.

“We know that we are a good club. We know that we are the biggest club in Scotland. We want to show that every week.

“If we start with season ticket holders, people signing up for the Rodgers Revolution – that’s a good start for everyone. Hopefully Celtic Park will be packed.”

Edited by The_Bhoy_1981