Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kevza

Getting Fit Again

13 posts in this topic

Here goes. 

Due to back pain I have had since the end of Jan, I have been to the Physio and the Hospital, and have been told I have general back pain. I was told at first, it may have been a disc bulge in my L4 region of my spine, and by keeping active and exercising, this would ease. I have been attending a class for exercise at the Hospital for the past 4 weeks, and I have another 2 sessions to go. I also joined the Gym about 2 weeks ago. I probably hadn't done any real exercise for about 20 years. Driving taxis also means my daily movements have been limited, (Which may have caused the condition). 

My plan in the short term is to attend the gym at least 2-3 times a week. The fitness instructor has left me to it just now, to allow me to familiarise myself with some of the equipment (Bikes, Tready, Weight Machines) etc.. And then in a week or 2, he will make up a programme for me. 

I have bouts of pain daily and self medicate with painkillers when I can. This seems to be referred leg pain, due to the spine injury, So I'm not at the running stage yet. Not sure if and when I will get to that stage at this rate. 

This has been a real eye opener for me, I never knew how badly I neglected myself over the years. (Binge drank for most of them years)I have struggled to do simple things over the past few Months due to this. Unable to put on my own socks, and unable to stand for any periods of time. I am determined to get back to normality and keep on at it. My plan is to recover, try and slim down as well as build muscle, Feel better about myself generally, and try to prevent this from re-occuring. 

Does anyone have experience with this sore of injury? And any tips for fitness, diet etc...

Thanks ;)

Edited by kevza

Hi yes had the same injury 20 odd years ago tried everything but the best thing I did was to stop using belts and tight trousers work as a joiner started using joggers took a start but hardly any bother now

regards sid

kevza and Gazzola like this

best takiing it slow at the start bud, especially since your not the fittest right now, I would always recommend swimming as it is an all round excercise and hits every muscle group, it is also the lowest impact, form of excercise meaning it causes the least stress on areas like joints and bones. meaning your less likely to pull a muscle, break anything or tear anything. the cross trainers are great low impact machines too but your trainer will cover this.

Id also reccomend swapping out certain meals for protein shakes and other protein supplements, snack on nuts and seeds or fruit even some protein bars, cut back on red meats and eat more chicken, turkey and fish. what youre eating is massively important especially when your are training.

your body would rather use lean protein and uses that first before using up the carbs and fat, so you need to balance it out by getting in as much protein as possible. i try and get at least 150g protein per day - and i get around 60g from 2 shakes a day using the low fat milk.

I'd also get some resistance bands for in the house, so you can try and do a little every day, argos doesa decent set of 3 for around a tenner. walking is also good. start off short then extend it as you go.

thers also a million workout vids on youtube look for something laid back at first and only do whats comfortable until you build it up.

also carbs are evil lol cut them down, this means bread, pasta, rice, chips almost anything that accompanies your meals is carbs.  cereals are also mostly out the window apart from weetabix and shredded wheat or bran/ all bran. and possibly other whole grains like cheerios but most are just high salt high sugar shite.

Onto veggies as much and as many as you can and in as many colours, not just greens but all you can handle, broccoli, carrots, sweetcorn, green beans , peas the lot.

I know they say no condiments with your veg, but if it is the only way you can eat them then its better than no veg, i like vinegar on my green beans and peas.

try and not buy the crapy tv dinners (pre made frozen stuff) as these are all salt and sugar too, try to do home cooked as much as possible, and invest in some spice jars you can do much with a lil bit of this and that here and there.

drink loads of water a coulpa pints a day minimum, hydration is not to be underestimated

colobhoy and bigsid like this

aye loose clothing is a must aswell not so much for excercise but in general for sitting about wear joggies and looser under wear, stuff thats too tight will be harder on circulation.

get the sports legging too for under yer joggieskeeps yer muscles nice and supported.

getting an injury will just set you back.

the first few weeks are the hardest, but you will be surprised how fast your body responds to excercise but its also a waiting game so dont get discouraged because it is working mate, whether you think it is or not its a matter of staying positive and focussed on the end result.

it wont be easy and it will be painfull as you go on but you can use that pain to drive you on and give you an adrenalin rush, i would reccomend using music for this purpose ya now stuff that gets you going eye of the tiger is one that works for me among others i like techno so i can use the driving rythms and beats as a spur .

kevza and bigsid like this

ive had allsorts of injuries over the years bud, knee injuries, busted ankle neck straing, muscle tears ligament injuries, back injuries, broken rins, broke arms .

muscles are generally pretty tough they take loads of punishment before tearing and when they do tear sometimes its just so they can get bigger, ligaments and tendons however need to be treated much more delicately and warming up is a must, just enough to get the breathing going and some heat into to them 5 mins light cardio or 2-3 mins something more rigourous but depends on you,

kevza likes this