Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_Bhoy_1981

Celtic sign Dorus De Vries on a 2 year deal:

18 posts in this topic

JS96925494.jpg

The former Dunfermline No.1 joins Brendan Rodgers' men as a challenge to Craig Gordon after Logan Bailly suffered a broken ankle.

Rodgers knows De Vries well from his time at Swansea. The Dutch stopper was Rodgers' No. 1 at the club and made 51 appearances in all competitions as Swansea got promoted to the Premier League for the first time.

But De Vries didn't play in the top flight as he quit the club to join Wolves on a free, a decision he lated admitted to regretting.

He kept 25 clean sheets in the 2009/10 season for the club, winning the Golden Glove award as Swansea narrowly missed out on the play-offs, but the next season was even better as he helped them to promotion.

De Vries won't be coming to Scotland is not a trip into the unknown.

He has experience of the Scottish top flight after spending a season at Dunfermline back in 2006/07.

In fact, his last game for Dunfermline came in the Scottish Cup Final defeat to Celtic in 2007, when he left the club to join Swansea on a free.

Dunfermline were relegated the season he was at the club, and a mistake from him on the final day of the season led to defeat to Inverness and relegation as a result.

But his performances throughout the season were excellent and he left the club highly-rated.

Rodgers was so impressed by De Vries that he tried to sign him at Liverpool.

But Wolves turned down a series of bids for the goalkeeper, as Rodgers looked for cover for Pepe Reina, as well as competition for the Spanish shotstopper who had been going through a poor spell of form.

It is clear that Rodgers really rated De Vries and bringing him as competition for Gordon could see the club's current No. 1 improve to the form he showed in his first season at Celtic Park.

Edited by The_Bhoy_1981
kevza likes this

I believe this is A squad signing no more no less he's Defo no better than Gordon but he can provide much needed cover plz sign a decent striker before its 2 late benteke would be great thanks

kevza likes this

I believe this is A squad signing no more no less he's Defo no better than Gordon but he can provide much needed cover plz sign a decent striker before its 2 late benteke would be great thanks

benteke!  What u been smokin!?  His wages will b through the roof!  Not to mention fee would b at least £6m. Can't see us shelling out that for him. 

Player of the year for Forrest last season. From what I'm seeing and reading number 1 spot is his to lose. 

Rodgers has not brought in a former player to sit on the bench.  

I disagree he's no better than Gordon ffs

benteke!  What u been smokin!?  His wages will b through the roof!  Not to mention fee would b at least £6m. Can't see us shelling out that for him. 

you wouldn't say no though would you

Rodgers has already indicated De Vries will provide competition for current Celtic number one Craig Gordon.

"I need a goalkeeper who, when we have possession, we have 11 players," Rodgers explained after Celtic's 2-0 friendly defeat by Inter Milan in Limerick on Saturday.

"I need someone who can distribute the ball and pass it. Dorus is as good as I've seen at that in all my travels.

"He comes into what is already a good number of keepers here and his game is perfectly suited to how I want to work. He's there to push Craig."

Rodgers has already indicated De Vries will provide competition for current Celtic number one Craig Gordon.

"I need a goalkeeper who, when we have possession, we have 11 players," Rodgers explained after Celtic's 2-0 friendly defeat by Inter Milan in Limerick on Saturday.

"I need someone who can distribute the ball and pass it. Dorus is as good as I've seen at that in all my travels.

"He comes into what is already a good number of keepers here and his game is perfectly suited to how I want to work. He's there to push Craig."

and? I don't see you're point unless you believe he's better than Gordon which is fine but I don't believe so

lol, I don't think he's awesome. Decent enough.  But would he be worth it?? 

I dunno mate depends what he would be going for just because he was bought and sold for silly money doesn't mean he wouldn't be open to coming to us considering the shit we've signed would pay a little extra for him plus he gives us something we've not had since jvoh a proper physical presence up front

and? I don't see you're point unless you believe he's better than Gordon which is fine but I don't believe so

I never said he was better than Gordan. I don't know enough about him but I feel if he has been brought in on a 2 year deal and is a former player of Rodgers he has not come to sit on the bench. I think Rodgers will have him as first choice after we get theses 2 CL games out of the way. It will be his spot to lose and the time out might make Gordan step back up a level as he has dropped. 

I did say at the start at 35 is he want we need...Rodgers must think so. 

I never said he was better than Gordan. I don't know enough about him but I feel if he has been brought in on a 2 year deal and is a former player of Rodgers he has not come to sit on the bench. I think Rodgers will have him as first choice after we get theses 2 CL games out of the way. It will be his spot to lose and the time out might make Gordan step back up a level as he has dropped. 

I did say at the start at 35 is he want we need...Rodgers must think so. 

we will see mate

Have to admit he didni cover himself in glory with the dodgy pass out of defence which Aberdeen maybe should have scored from. Thought he was supposed to be better with the ball at his feet than Gordon?